What happened: The U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Jan. 29 pulled back its controversial Jan. 27 memorandum that would have paused grant disbursements and outlays of other major financial assistance. There has been widespread confusion in Washington, D.C. and across the country about which agencies would be affected, including the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

Why it matters: With the rescission, uncertainty over federal reimbursements for completed infrastructure work should subside for now. The vast majority of highway and transit programs will continue normal operations. However, the Jan. 20 Executive Order (EO) pausing spending on some electric vehicle charging station programs and previously announced discretionary grants without a signed grant agreement remains intact.

What’s next: With newly confirmed U.S. DOT Secretary Sean Duffy in place and bringing on his senior staff, expect additional clarification on how the original Jan. 20 EO will be implemented. White House officials are also signaling there may be more EOs and OMB memos related to federal spending.

Related News

August 13, 2026

If You Operate a Warehouse, OSHA Is Watching

What happened: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) July 16 announced updates…

Learn More
August 7, 2026

U.S. Senate Poised to Pass Funding Extension with Highway & Transit Program Cuts

What happened: The U.S. Senate Aug. 2 released legislative text of a measure to…

Learn More
August 7, 2026

U.S. Circuit Court Says Mental Illness Not a Recordable Injury

What happened: A federal court July 21 said the Occupational Safety & Health Administration…

Learn More